1990's (33)

2000's (40)

(6)

JÄRJESTYS:
Julkaisuvuosi
Artisti

Doo wop / Vocal groups

Result of your query: 1276 products

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20 - 21 - 22 - 23 - 24 - 25 - 26
5 Royales - Dedicated To You
12 biisiä
King Records 1997 CD 17.00 €
5 Royales - It's Hard But It's Fair - The King Hits And Rarities
So, where DOES soul begin? Well, according to popular consensus (and also to the BBC, if their entertaining "Soul Deep" series is anything to go by) it begins with Ray Charles and Sam Cooke. Now, I wouldn't want to disagree with that idea in principle they're fine artists both, and if you want to start digging near the Roots Of Soul, the works of these two giants of popular music are as good a place as any to do that.

But if you've already gone beyond brothers Sam and Ray, and you feel it's time to dig a little deeper, it's probably time for you to dig the grand-daddy of all the soul groups that proliferated in the mid 60s, Winston-Salem's magnificent "5" Royales. Led by the sublime dual leads of Johnny and Eugene Tanner, and anchored by the often unbelievable guitar acrobatics of Lowman Pauling, the Royales were arguably the first group to bring the church directly to R&B and, in doing so, create a whole new strand that foresaw its future rather than relying on its past for inspiration. They were a direct influence on James Brown (who re-recorded several of their songs, including Think and Come Over Here), Ray Charles (who re-did their Tell The Truth) and the Temptations (who were coached, in their early days, by Pauling's brother and former Royale Clarence Paul who would play the Temptations his "5" Royales records, ceaselessly, in an attempt to get their vocal harmonies on point).

Lowman Pauling also influenced a generation of guitar pickers, most notably the young Steve Cropper who cheerfully admits to copping a lot of his early licks off the man (and who was only too happy to point this out in his lovingly-written foreword to this package). Pauling was also a songwriter of considerable talent, penning the majority of the "5" Royales recordings including their original version of the Rock'n'Roll Hall Of Fame classic, Dedicated To The One I Love. The group sang like angels, and Pauling generally played like he was possessed by the devil. The "5" Royales had it all, and then some.

The group had started off on Apollo Records, where they had created such timeless group R&B as Baby Don't Do It and Laundromat Blues. When they came to King in 1954 they were primed and ready to take group R&B to its next stage and they proceeded to do just that over the next six years and across more than 50 great recordings. "IT'S HARD BUT IT'S FAIR" is by no means the first "5" Royales CD anthology, but it's the first to anthologise the biggest hits and the classiest rarities in one package. (Indeed, around half of these tracks have never been on CD before, which makes purchase mandatory.) Even if you have the hits on other packages, you will never have heard them this good before, as this CD's master is compiled exclusively from the fresh digital transfers that Ace's Alec Palao and I made, from the original production masters, during our 2004 trip to the King tape vaults.

The "5" Royales had surprisingly few hits on King, but each and every one of their recordings offers something to cherish. The intense soul balladry of the Eugene Tanner-led My Wants For Love is more than complemented by the cool in Johnny T's delivery of ace jivers I Could Love You and Women About To Make Me Go Crazy. How many budding soul harmony groups learned their trade off classics like our title track, or the original versions of Think and Dedicated To The One I Love is probably beyond calculation. And there are probably not enough fingers and toes in Memphis to count how many times Steve Cropper not to mention a myriad other young guitar slingers would have played along with The Slummer The Slum, I'm With You and the truly stellar Get It in the course of honing his own magnificent craft. If you have any interest at all in the deep roots of soul music, you simply cannot afford not to own this fabulous compact disc.

A group as important as the "5" Royales will always deserve a definitive anthology. Without a shred of bias I can say that certainly as far as their King recordings go this is all that and more. It's hard, it's fair and it's a must for your selection.

By Tony Rounce (Ace Records)
Ace Records 2005 CD 18.00 €
5 Royales - Sing Baby Don't Do It
14 tracks
Relic Records CD 17.00 €
5 Royales - Sing The Laundromat Blues
Relic Records CD 17.00 €
5 Satins - Lost Treasures
Relic Records CD 17.00 €
5 Willows - Look Me In The Eyes / So Help Me
re-issue
Herald Single/EP 5.00 €
Academics - Drive In Movie / Somethin' Cool
re-issue
Elmont Records Single/EP 5.00 €
Adelphis - Shine Again / Sweetpeas In Love
re-issue
Excalibur Records Single/EP 5.00 €
Ambassadors / Gerry And The Gems - Oh Nancy / I Remember
yellow vinyl
Bay Records Single/EP 5.00 €
Anthony & Sophmores - Beautiful Dreamer / Embraceable You
Jason Scott Records Single/EP 5.00 €
Anthony & The Imperials / King Perry & The Lyrics - A Short Prayer / Big Fat Mama
white vinyl
Newtime Single/EP 5.00 €
Aquatones - She's The One For Me / You
re-issue
Fargo Records Single/EP 5.00 €
Arrows - Indian Bop Hop / Annie Mae
re-issue
Flash Single/EP 5.00 €
Arthur Lee Maye And The Crowns - Please Say You Love Me / Cool Lovin'
re-issue
RPM Records Single/EP 5.00 €
Avons - Baby / Bonnie
Roulette Single/EP 5.00 €
B.Bumble & The Stingers / Joe Weaver & The Don Juans - Nut Rocker / Baby I Love You So
EX-
Oldies Single/EP 5.00 €
Käytetty
Bachelors - I Found Love / You've Lied
re-issue
Royal Roost Single/EP 5.00 €
Bachelors - I Want To Know About Love / Dolores
re-issue
Earl Record Co Single/EP 5.00 €
Ballads - Sweet Soul Sensation - The Ballads Are Coming
24 biisiä
Famous Groove Records 1997 CD 17.00 €
Bandaleers - Congratulations, Baby / This I Swear
red vinyl
49th St Single/EP 5.00 €
Bee Jay - I'll Go On / There's No One For Me
re-issue
Clock Records Single/EP 5.00 €
Bel-Larks with the Eternals - A Million And One Dreams / Satisfied
re-issue
Ransom Records Single/EP 5.00 €
Belltones / Majors - Swingin' Little Chicky / Lesqua
re-issue
Excalibur Single/EP 5.00 €
Belmonts - Laurie, Sabina & United Artists Sides
30 biisiä vuosilta 1961-1966
Ace Records 1995 CD 18.00 €
Belmonts - Lost Treasures
25 tracks
Relic Records CD 17.00 €
Belmonts - Sabina, United Artists & Laurie Sides Vol 2
TELL ME WHY?by Gordon Watson (Editor of "Feelin' No Pain" Doo Wop Magazine

Probably best known as the group behind Dion's early hits, the Belmonts remain one of the most popular vocal groups from the rock'n'roll era. When Dion left to pursue his solo career in 1960, the Belmonts continued as a group under their own name. With varying degrees of success, they recorded many good quality records throughout the 60s.

Formed in New York City in 1957, the group took their name from Belmont Avenue - the main drag through the Italian section of the Bronx where they honed their street corner style doo wop with which they are synonymous today. The material they recorded with Dion has been well documented and has seen several releases over the years. This collection brings together their lesser known recordings as a group under their own name.

With Carlo Mastrangelo taking over as lead vocalist, success came quickly with Tell Me Why charting for the boys in 1961. There was a mini revival of vocal group music in the New York area at the turn of the decade and it seemed the Belmonts could do no wrong-.-five of their first six singles all found a place on the charts. In common with many vocal groups from the golden era, the Belmonts went through a few line up changes and musical styles as their career developed but never deviated too far from the beautiful harmonies which brought them early success.

In this collection and its predecessor VOLUME 1 (CDCHD 580) you will not only find all the classic Belmont singles from Sabina, but also the pick of the recordings from their Laurie and United Artist sessions including many previously unreleased tracks, alternate takes and several stereo version which appear for the first time on CD.

Listen out for the stereo, alternate take of my personal favourite Belmonts song Diddle-Dee-Dum (What Happens When You're Love Has Gone) and Lookout For Sandy which was changed to Cindy for the official release to avoid clashing with Dion's smash hit Sandy.
(Ace Records).
Ace Records 1998 CD 18.00 €
Ben E. King - The Very Best Of
16 tracks
Warner Music 1998 CD 10.00 €
Big John Greer - I'm The Fat Man
Big John Greer…what a man! Starting off as a key member of Lucky Millinder's legendary band, the Big Man was soon blowing hot sax on a succession of salty, saucy, sexy hits, as rockin' as they were risqué. As well as playing with Millinder, Bullmoose Jackson and others of the most out-there aggregations of the time - Big John was really the daddy of them all: just listen and you will hear!

This is a must for all fans of rockin' sax honkin' risque R&B. The success of our series of these on radio, with such knowledgeable and tasteful DJs as Mark Lamarr, I think speaks eloquently for itself…
Rev-Ola 2007 CD 15.00 €
Bill Harris And The Continentals - Danny Boy / I'm So Glad
green vinyl
Eagle Single/EP 5.00 €
Bill Robinson And The Quails - A Little Bit Of Love / Somewhere Somebody Cares
re-issue
Deluxe Single/EP 5.00 €
Bill Robinson And The Quails - Oh Sugar / Love Of My Life
repro
De Luxe Single/EP 6.00 €
Billy And The Essentials - Lonely Weekends
Crystal Ball Records LP 15.00 €
Billy Dawn Quartet - You Will Always Find Me True / This Is The Real Thing Now
re-issue
Firefly Single/EP 5.00 €
Billy Love And The Lovers - Hold Me Close / Legend Of Love
yellow vinyl
Dragon Records Single/EP 5.00 €
Billy Storm - This Is The Nite
From wild rockers to pop, and from early soul dancers to classic group harmony songs, Billy Storm was able to perform all those styles and more. Always with a top notch tenor voice that could scream Little Richard and send cold chills like Clyde McPhatter. This anthology of most of his best recordings will show you all this and even more. It was time to have a career spanning album of Storm starting way back on the beginning of his career arriving to the early days of soul music. You are going to love it!
El Toro Records 2013 CD 15.00 €
Billy Ward And His Dominoes - Featuring Clyde McPhatter and Jackie Wilson
12 biisiä
King CD 15.00 €
Billy Ward And His Dominoes - I'm Lonely / Yours Forever
re-issue
Federal Single/EP 5.00 €
Billy Ward And The Dominoes - The Best Of
Featuring Jackie Wilson
Fed LP 13.00 €
Blanders - Desert Sands / Jitterbug
re-issue
Smash Records Single/EP 5.00 €
Blen-dells - Forever / Say You're Mine
re-issue. dark red vinyl
Bella Records Single/EP 5.00 €
Blenders - Angel / Old Mac Donald
re-issue - "dark" red vinyl
Wanger Single/EP 5.00 €
Blisters - Shortnin' Bread / Cookie Rockin' In Her Stockings
re-issue
Liberty Records Single/EP 5.00 €
Blossoms / Don And Juan - Write Me A Letter / Pledging My Love
green vinyl
Challenge Single/EP 5.00 €
Blue Jays featuring Leon Peels - Lovers Island
Relic Records LP 13.00 €
Blue Stars - I Only Have Eyes For You / Hey Pretty Baby
re-issue
Arcade Single/EP 5.00 €
Blues News - 6/2007 = # 228
Sven Zetterberg, Erja Lyytinen, Larry Garner, David Whiteis..
Blues News 2007 Lehdet 6.00 €
Bluetones - I'll Love You (till the end of time part 1 & 2)
blue vinyl
Bluejay Single/EP 5.00 €
Bobby Capri with the Velvet Satins - The Night / I'm Gonna Be Another Man
Clifton Single/EP 5.00 €
Bobby Day / The Willows - Rockin Robin / Church Bells May Ring
Collectables Single/EP 5.00 €
Bobby Lester & The Moonglows - One More Time
Relic Records LP 13.00 €
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20 - 21 - 22 - 23 - 24 - 25 - 26

Rock and roll news

2013-11-07
GOOFIN' RECORDS 30th Anniversary Party

2013-08-18
LEVYMESSUT / TAPAHTUMAT

2013-08-15
GOOFIN' RECORDS TULEVIA JULKAISUJA

2013-04-17
THE QUIETS The Many Faces Of The Quiets UUSI CD SAATAVANA !

2013-04-13
GOOFIN' RECORDS VESIVAHINKO / WATER DAMAGE

goofinrecords