1990's (33)

2000's (40)

(6)

JÄRJESTYS:
Julkaisuvuosi
Artisti

Doo wop / Vocal groups

Result of your query: 1275 products

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20 - 21 - 22 - 23 - 24 - 25 - 26
Supremes - At The Copa 2CD
In July 1965, the Supremes, one of Motown Records’ top groups, made history when they performed for three weeks at New York’s famed Copacabana nightclub; At The Copa, the recording of this landmark event – a “teen pop” group appearing at the mountaintop of showbiz success – was released by the company four months later. Now, for the first time, Motown/Select.com issues the complete concert in a stunning 2-CD Expanded Edition.
Disc One of At The Copa: Expanded Edition contains the digitally remastered original stereo album – an album that, owing to then-insurmountable technical problems, used lead vocals overdubbed by Diana Ross in the studio. Also on Disc One are 10 specially selected, previously unreleased original mono reference mixes, with Ms. Ross’s original live vocals. Listeners will be able to hear the magic of both versions.
Disc Two features the full Copa show, as only the audience would have experienced it in 1965, in a brand-new mix that compiles the best performances from six recorded shows. Today’s technology allowed the producers to overcome issues that vexed their 1960s counterparts, resulting not only in the use of the original lead vocals but the inclusion of songs cut from the original release: the opening number “From This Moment On,” their hits “Where Did Our Love Go” and “Nothing But Heartaches,” and classic show tunes including “Tonight/The Way You Look Tonight,” and “Enjoy Yourself (It’s Later Than You Think).”
The music for At The Copa: Expanded Edition is housed in a gorgeous digi-pak that contains a booklet featuring never-before-seen photos of the girls performing on stage; the original LP liner notes by Sammy Davis, Jr.; an all-new essay by producer George Solomon detailing how a young Motown Records and their rising group got the Copa dates, encompassing the story of the girls’ crossover appeal and the intense planning that went into a monumental moment in pop music and American cultural history.

Disc 1, Tracks 1-15: Original Stereo LP
Disc 1, Tracks 16-25: Alternate Mono Mixes/Previously Unreleased
Disc 2: The Complete Show/Previously Unreleased

*Sam Cooke Medley: You Send Me / (I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons / Cupid / Chain Gang / Bring It On Home To Me / Shake
Hip-O-Select 2012 2-CD 18.00 €
Supremes - Gold 2CD
Universal Music 2005 CD 12.00 €
Supremes - Greatest Hits
+ bonus Live In Amsterdam 1964
BR Music 2003 DVD 15.00 €
Supremes - I Hear A Symphony
Music On Vinyl 2013 LP 22.00 €
Supremes - Meet The Supremes
recorded in Detroit 1960-1962

180 gram vinyl

free mp3 album download
WaxTime Records 2013 LP 18.00 €
Supremes - Meet The Supremes
Hallmark Music 2013 CD 6.00 €
Supremes - The Happening
58 min
All Stars 2008 DVD 8.00 €
Swans - In The Morning / Believe In Me
re-issue
Steamboat Records Single/EP 5.00 €
Sweet Jeena And The Roomates - Sweet Jeena And The Roomates
Sweet Jeena ja The Roomates-lauluyhtye Englannista ovat äänittäneet levyllisen herkkää doo-woppia. Kyseessä
on ainutlaatuinen suomalais-englantilainen yhteistyö, jossa Sweet Jeenan soundi ja The Roomatesin ‘Dion and the
Belmonts’ -henkinen italo sugar doo-wop kohtaavat. The Roomatesin sielu ovat laulajat Steve Webb, Nick
Kennedy, Mark Webb ja Glenn Brentnall. Kysymyksessä on 50-lukuromantiikan vaikutteista ammentava doo-wopmusiikki,
jossa laulajilla on keskeinen rooli. Sweet Jeena on suomalainen laulaja Jeena Rancken, joka tunnetaan
aurinkoisesta saundista ja vahvasta omasta tyylistään. Jeena tunnetaan myös Sweet Jeena and her Sweethearts -
yhtyeestä, jonka ensilevy julkaistiin lokakuussa 2009.
Homebraend/JeenaRecords 2010 CD 15.00 €
Teen Queens - Eddie My Love
One of rock'n'roll's tragic stories, Rosie and Betty Collins were nationally famous as The Teen Queens during their adolescence, consigned as has-beens before they were 18, and drug casualties before their early 30s.

In 1955, in their early teens, they recorded one of rock'n'roll's classic teen ballads - Eddie My Love. The song broke nationally, taking them to No 14 on the Pop chart and No 2 R&B. The Teen Queens toured in The Biggest Rock'N'Roll Show Of 1956 (alongside Frankie Lymon, Bo Diddley, Big Joe Turner, Bill Haley & His Comets, The Drifters and others), selling out at major venues. In July 1956 of that year, Cash Box picked them as "Up-And-Coming Female Group" in its DJ Poll, yet by then the hits were already over. Though they recorded some sweet and fine music (the best of it gathered here), they were, sadly, never able to revisit the commercial success of Eddie My Love.

Ace Records 1995 CD 18.00 €
Teenagers - Featuring Frankie Lymon
Rumble Records 2011 LP 18.00 €
Teendreams - Be My Baby
solistina "Vesa Snygg"
Avalant 1997 CD 10.00 €
Tempotones - Come Into My Heart / Somewhere There Is Someone
re-issue
Acme Records Single/EP 5.00 €
Tender Tones - I Love You So / Just For A Little While
repro
Ducky Records Single/EP 6.00 €
The 4 Vagabonds - Yesterday's Memories
150 gram color vinyl. gatefold sleeve
Apollo LP 15.00 €
The 5 Royales - Right Around The Corner
rare and undiscovered gems from the King years
El Toro Records 2011 CD 17.00 €
The 5 satins - Rose Mary / All Mine
re-issue
Times Sg Records Single/EP 6.00 €
The 5 Willows - The Best Of The 5 Willows
24 tracks
SCD CD 18.00 €
The Belveders - Come To Me Sweetheart / A Little Romance
with picture sleeve
Mac Records Single/EP 5.00 €
The Crows & The Wrens - The Crows Meet The Wrens
Collectables 2009 CD 10.00 €
The Dukes - I was a fool / My Love is beautiful
re-issue
Imperial Single/EP 6.00 €
The El Venos - Geraldine / Now we´re together
Groove Single/EP 6.00 €
The Fabulons - Give me back my ring / Smoke from your cigarette
re-issue
Ember Records Single/EP 5.00 €
The Flamingos / The Dubs - The Flamingos Meet The Dubs
Priceless Collection -sarjaa
Collectables 2009 CD 10.00 €
The Four Internes - I'm Troubled
20 tracks
Gospel Jubilee LP 15.00 €
The Four Lovers - 1956
31 tracks
Bear Family 1989 CD 17.00 €
The Heartbeats - Your way / People Are Talking
re-issue
Hull Records Single/EP 6.00 €
The Prisonaires - Just Walkin' In The Rain
26 biisiä
Bear Family 1990 CD 18.00 €
The Pyramids - Deep in my heart for you / And I need You
re-issue
Federal Single/EP 6.00 €
The Willows - Featuring Tony Middleton - The Church Bells May Ring Forever
Eldorado LP 15.00 €
Thrillers - Drunkard /Mattie, Leave Me Alone
re-issue
Big Town Single/EP 5.00 €
Timetones - My Love / Here In My Heart
re-issue
Times Square Single/EP 5.00 €
Tokens - Wimoweh ! The Best Of The Tokens
20 biisiä mm "Lion Sleeps Tonight"
BMG 1994 CD 10.00 €
Tony Allen - Here Comes The Nite Owl! - West Coast R&B And DooWop 1954-61
New Orleans-born, Los Angeles raised Anthony Penia Allan cut one of the all time great 45s of doo-wop, ‘Nite Owl’, at his first important recording session. It was immediately huge in his adopted hometown, and was just about to break nationally when Allen decided to move from Specialty, for whom it was recorded – to another label. Despite having a potential hit on its hands Specialty withdrew its support for ‘Nite Owl’ and for its budding superstar. The record didn’t chart and Tony Allen’s career never really ignited thereafter.

Always hungry for a hit, Allen hopped from label to label throughout the second half of the 1950s, recording for just about all of the most important imprints in and around the Los Angeles area in his quest for instant success. His reluctance to stay contracted to any given label, if things were not working out as quickly as he wanted them to, certainly didn’t work in his favour from a career-building standpoint. But the records Allen cut between 1954 and 1962 showed that he definitely had the talent to become a big star, even if his abundant desire for that to happen overnight often resulted in rapid contract termination.

Tony Allen recorded for around a dozen labels in a little less than seven years. Ace’s “Here Comes The Nite Owl” – named for his career song – gathers together all of his surviving work for just four of them, namely Dig/Ultra, Ebb, Kent/Modern and the aforementioned Specialty. Several rare singles are included along with the Crown album “Rock And Roll With Tony Allen And The Night Owls”. Individually and collectively, the tracks give a picture of a highly talented vocalist who could cut it just as cleanly on up-tempo rockers as he could on lugubrious doo wop ballads. There’s plenty of both types of material on show here, and all tracks are presented from the original master tapes.

Of course, Tony was by no means the only kid on his particular block who could do this, but one can’t help feeling that, had he allowed only one label to develop his career rather than move from company to company on what must often have been little more than a whim, he might be regarded with the same sort of worldwide admiration as his peers Jesse Belvin and Richard Berry, rather than just as the man who gave the rock ‘n’ roll world ‘Nite Owl’ and a few other goodies.

The bootleggers already made hay, down the years, with a hefty chunk of Allen’s catalogue. However, more than two-thirds of the sides featured on this, the first ever 100% legit Tony Allen CD, here have never been digitised before, and several have never been issued at all. It’s been a long time coming, but those who continue to write and e-mail us for more vintage rhythm & blues releases will surely be glad that the ‘Nite Owl’ is finally making a well-deserved appearance in the Ace catalogue.

By Tony Rounce
(ACE RECORDS)
Ace Records 2009 CD 17.00 €
Tony And Barbara / The Charmers - Check Yourself / Lesson From The Stars
Comet Records Single/EP 5.00 €
Tony Dee And Pageants - Make You My Queen / Saturday Romance
repro
Du Well Record Co Single/EP 6.00 €
Tramps - Midnight Flyer / Your Love
re-issue
Arvee Single/EP 5.00 €
Travelers Vocal Group - Betty Jean / Lenora
re-issue
Angletone Single/EP 5.00 €
Treasures - Valley Of The Broken Hearts / Minor Chaos
Valor Single/EP 5.00 €
Turbans - All Of My Love / It Was A Night Like This
re-issue
Herald Single/EP 5.00 €
Turbans - Best Of The Turbans
Collectables 1994 CD 18.00 €
Tyrone And The Nuports / Gerry And The Gems - Just One Of Those Things / Come Along
blue vinyl
Wax Trax Records Single/EP 5.00 €
Universals - Acappella Showcase Presents
The "Philly" Sound At Its Best
Southern LP 13.00 €
VA. - Postcards From Los Angeles 1958-1964 - The Dore Story
A one-man operation run at street level for more than two decades, Hollywood’s Dore label launched the careers of Phil Spector and Jan & Dean in the late 1950s and built upon these early triumphs with an extensive catalogue of pop, rock and soul 45s during the 60s before branching successfully into comedy in the early 1970s.

The story of Doré records is inextricably linked with that of its owner, Lew Bedell, who entered the music business in 1955 having worked as a minor professional entertainer in the preceding years. Pop music was different back then and never more so than in California, where Hollywood’s dominance of the entertainment scene meant that Los Angeles was scarcely aware of its music industry until hotshot producers such as Phil Spector, Brian Wilson, Snuff Garrett and Lou Adler finally put the town on the recording map in the mid-1960s.

Individualists such as Bedell were usually referred to as “characters” or as being “larger than life”, suggesting they were caricatures of some sort, but Bedell, for all his eccentricities, was somehow too pragmatic a man to fit that description.

Doré began as a subsidiary of Era, a Hollywood label best known for mainstream pop hits such as ‘Chanson D’Amour’ and ‘The Wayward Wind’. Bedell had founded Era with his cousin Herb Newman before breaking away to run Doré alone. In 1958, it got off to a flying start with ‘To Know Him Is To Love Him’ by the Teddy Bears, a worldwide hit, followed a few months later by Jan & Dean’s ‘Baby Talk’. The major labels had lost touch with the street and it was largely left to LA’s scattering of independents to set teenagers’ turntables spinning on the West Coast.

It was the age of the walk-in deal on LA’s so-called record row, an area of Hollywood populated by small labels wheeling and dealing from storefronts or backrooms. Some went in the blink of an eye but Doré stayed, moving seamlessly from rock and pop into soul music in the mid-60s. In this climate of spontaneous deal-making and low recording costs, Bedell was regularly approached by would-be’s and wanna-be’s, some of whom may have had something on the ball. Herb Alpert, Shel Talmy and Mike Curb were just a few who brought their first productions to Doré and there are some interesting connections: aside from Spector and Jan & Dean, the Walker Brothers and Vince Taylor all come into the story.

25 of the 28 tunes on this first volume of “The Doré Story” appear on legitimate CD for the first time, all taken from the original masters, including previously unissued rockabilly from cult figure Joel Scott Hill, two ultra-rare rock instrumentals by Bobby Fry, the guitarist Vince Taylor brought over with him from America in 1958. There’s exquisite doo wop, some featuring that cherished East LA “Barrio” sound, early teen rock from John Maus of the Walker Brothers and a rare instro featuring Scott Walker himself. Doré is becoming a collected label. Many of the original Doré 45s are now beginning to fetch quite big money, helped by the aura of mystique that surrounds the label and its distinctive logo.

The generously proportioned, specially designed package includes a 18,000-word newly researched profile of Doré and Lew Bedell, artist biographies and many never-before seen photographs and illustrations. “The Doré Story” is an engaging snapshot of that moment in time before lawyers and accounts took over the music biz and things were simpler and probably more fun.

By Rob Finnis (Ace Records)
Ace Records 2011 CD 17.00 €
VA: - 1957 British Hit Parade Vol. 6 Part 1 4CD
4CDs = 98 tracks
Acrobat Music 2008 2-CD 19.00 €
VA: - 1957 British Hit Parade Vol. 6 Part 2 4CD
4CDs = 89 tracks
Acrobat Music 2008 CD 19.00 €
VA: - 1958 British Hit Parade Vol. 7 Part 1 4CD
4CDs = 101 tracks
Fantastic Voyage 2009 2-CD 19.00 €
VA: - 21st Century Doo Wop
26 biisiä Doo Wop biisejä - myös uusia yhtyeitä: Riffs, Mello Kings, Demensions, Roomates, Crosstones, Ovations etc
Ace Records 2002 CD 18.00 €
VA: - A Christmas Gift For You From Phil Spector
perhaps the greatest Christmas album in the world
Phil Spector Records 2002 CD 19.00 €
VA: - A Christmas Gift For You from Phil Spector 2CD
uusi upea tuplaversio. Ykköslevyllä se "klassikko" joululevy ja kakkoslevyllä samojen artistien hittibiisejä. Yhteensä 31 biisiä. Loistava paketti !
Phil Spector Records 2012 CD 22.00 €
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19 - 20 - 21 - 22 - 23 - 24 - 25 - 26

Rock and roll news

2013-11-07
GOOFIN' RECORDS 30th Anniversary Party

2013-08-18
LEVYMESSUT / TAPAHTUMAT

2013-08-15
GOOFIN' RECORDS TULEVIA JULKAISUJA

2013-04-17
THE QUIETS The Many Faces Of The Quiets UUSI CD SAATAVANA !

2013-04-13
GOOFIN' RECORDS VESIVAHINKO / WATER DAMAGE

goofinrecords