(223)

JÄRJESTYS:
Julkaisuvuosi
Artisti

Uusimmat julkaisut - 1960-luku

Result of your query: 298 products

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6
Ral Donner - Singles Collection 1959-1962
Any fans will no doubt have already noticed and it won't take newcomers long to realise that, Ral Donner was influenced by Elvis Presley. So here we showcase the greatest recordings by arguably the best ever Elvis impersonator!

Features his 'Takin' Care of Business' LP in full which includes the hit singles, 'Girl of My Best Friend' and 'You Don't Know What You've Got'.

If you are a fan of, 'The King' then you can't miss this superb collection from an artist who is richly appreciated for his own excellent body of work, and these recordings are a fitting tribute to this hugely talented artist.
Jasmine Records 2013 CD 12.00 €
Ray Charles - Modern Sounds In Country And Western Music Vols 1 & 2
Merging the sounds of '50s R&B with the power of gospel vocals may have been conceived by some as the devils work, but as we all know, Ray forged quite the career out of it and became a pioneer and a major influence by devising a whole new form of black pop music. It is here though that we have both volumes of 'Modern Sounds in Country Music' with their wonderful, unique and groundbreaking fusion of jazz, R&B and C&W.

The first volume topped the US LP charts for 14 weeks, selling an estimated two million copies, and span off two multi-million-selling singles: 'I Can't Stop Loving You'/'Born to Lose' and 'You Don't Own Me'/'Careless Love'. The second volume sold a million copies and yielded three further hits: 'You Are My Sunshine', 'Your Cheatin' Heart' and the million selling 'Take These Chains from My Heart'.

Also included are two bonus tracks which include yet another million-seller in the form of 'Georgia on My Mind'.

If you only ever bought one Ray Charles compilation, it would have to be this one!
Ray Charles - Seven Classic Albums Plus Bonus Singles Vol. 2 4CD
Real Gone Music 2012 CD-Box 10.00 €
Red Prysock - Handclappin' Footstompin' Rock 'n' Roll
Not much has ever been written about Red Prysock but all you need to know is that he was the rockingest, wildest, honkingest tenor sax player there ever was so what else do you need to know, the music speaks for itself!

Handclappin', Footstompin', Rock 'N' Roll is no less than 30 rollicking tracks and includes his hit 'Handclappin'' in addition to as many of the tracks from his first two great LPs as we could fit in!

If you like rock 'n' roll instrumentals this set won't fail you, although be aware that the playing of this CD from start to finish may leave you seriously exhausted!
Reijo Viita - Toivotuimmat
levytyksiä 1964-1981
Salix 2013 CD 15.00 €
Ricky Nelson - Ballads Of Ricky Nelson
Bear Family 2013 CD 18.00 €
Ricky Nelson - The Imperial Recording Sessions 1957-1960
including rare studio chatter, unreleased studio gems
previously unreleased song "Cold War" plus a Dean Martin duet.

a full 79 minutes of material
Startime 2013 CD 22.00 €
Roy Orbison - Crying
Waxtime Records 2013 LP 18.00 €
Roy Orbison - Sings Lonely And Blue
Waxtime Records 2013 LP 18.00 €
Russ Hamilton - We Will Make Love Under A Rainbow
In 1957, several years before the British beat invasion of America, a young singer/songwriter from Liverpool, England, Russ Hamilton, made the US Top 10 with his song 'Rainbow' which reached #4 on Billboard's Hot 100.

Also includes his UK hit 'We Will Make Love' plus many popular songs and standards such as: 'I Had a Dream' `'Tip Toe Through the Tulips', 'The Reprieve of Tom Dooley' and 'Gonna Find Me A Bluebird' which he recorded with the Jordanaires.

Sadly, and despite a hectic touring schedule, Russ Hamilton's rise to fame was a short one and he became disheartened as he was swindled out of a fortune. Today his songs and his biggest hit rarely receive airplay, which we at Jasmine feel is a shame, so sit back and listen to Russ singing the cream of his songs and we're sure that you'll soon be over the rainbow.
Jasmine Records 2014 CD 13.00 €
Sandy Nelson - Teen Beat 1959-1961 2CD
The late '50s/early '60s were the 'Golden Era' for Rock & Roll Instrumentals and Sandy Nelson was by far the biggest drum star of the era.

Already a well-known session drummer by the time he was in his late teens, his first solo record, 'Teen Beat', became a million-selling worldwide hit in 1959. In 1961 he scored an even bigger international hit with 'Let There Be Drums', which in turn span off a million-selling LP of the same title.

On this compilation we also feature his first seven singles plus his first three LPs. Much of this material has been unavailable on CD for many years.
Jasmine Records 2013 CD 15.00 €
Santo & Johnny - Around The World With
Over the years, Santo & Johnny have kept a list of the songs that people ask for over and over again. It is with some of these songs that we begin our journey with, including classics such as 'Spanish Harlem', 'Brazil' and 'Along the Navajo Trail'. Continuing on we whisk you off to 'A Foggy Day in London Town' before we proceed to meet 'The Poor People of Paris'.

Covering the last 12 tracks of this disc, Santo & Johnny have created the perfect musical gift. Included are 'Blue Hawaii', 'Song of the Islands', 'Sweet Lelani'.

Some of the sweetest sounds ever to come out of two guitars are yours for the listening in this exciting collection. With the magic of arrangements by Hutch Davie and Hugo Montenegro, Santo & Johnny ask that you climb on board for the musical journey of a lifetime.
Schtroumpfs - T.V. D'Antibes CDEP
four track CDEP.
Magic Records CD 8.00 €
Shadows - Out Of The Shadows
Hallmark Music 2013 CD 6.00 €
Shadows - Parhaat
suomipainos - 17 biisiä
VLMedia 2013 CD 4.90 €
Shadows - The Shadows plus Out Of The Shadows
two albums + bonus tracks (total 30 tracks) on 1 CD

Clearly one of the biggest influences on surf music as well as British rock & roll, The Shadows were one of the most popular instrumental groups in the world. Their music (aside from their seminal work with Cliff Richard) was always marked by a clean precision that welded rock, R&B, country & western and other influences perfectly, creating a signature sonic texture.

The band was led by the legendary Hank Marvin (with his trademark red Fender Stratocaster guitar), who pioneered the use of portable echo and reverb effects. The group was cited as a major inspiration by such celebrated guitarists as Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page and Mark Knopfler.

This quintessential release includes two of The Shadows' finest LPs for Columbia records: their self-titled debut album, The Shadows (1961), and their follow-up record Out of The Shadows (1962). Both masterpieces have been remastered and packaged together in this very special collector's edition, which also includes 3 bonus tracks from the same period. Here you will find number-one hits (“Apache”, “F.B.I.”, “Dance On!”), rock & roll favorites from the beginning of their career (“Shadoogie”, “The Rumble”), great cover versions of popular songs (“Perfidia”, “South of the Border”), and formidable vocal performances (“Baby My Heart”, “That's My Desire”, and “The Bandit”).

16 page booklet including rare photos, vintage memorabilie and more
Hoodoo Records 2014 CD 15.00 €
Shadows - Two Classic Albums Plus Bonus EPs And Singles 4CD
Real Gone Music 2013 2-CD 9.00 €
Shadows - Very Best Of 3 CD
Not Now Music 2013 2-CD 9.00 €
Shanes - 5CD Original Album Serien
Emi Music 2012 2-CD 29.00 €
Shirelles - Baby It's You
A HIT-FILLED ALBUM FROM THE ORIGINAL GIRL GROUP!

When Shirley Owens, Doris Coley, Addie “Micki” Harris and Beverly Lee got together to sing for a high school talent show in 1957, they had no intentions of becoming professional musicians. However, fate stepped in when classmate Mary Jane Greenberg told her mother, Tiara Records owner Florence Greenberg, about the group. Greenberg signed them to her label, released a single and then sold the label, along with the fledgling group, to Decca Records. Decca soon dropped them, which left Greenberg free to sign them to her new label, Scepter Records. At Scepter, The Shirelles hit their stride, working with the cream of the Brill Building songwriters. One of these songwriters, Luther Dixon, was hired by Greenberg to write for and produce the group and together they developed the group’s signature sound. Under his guidance, the Shirelles enjoyed seven Top 20 hits and launched the girl group genre.

Released as a single in 1961, “Baby It’s You” reached #8 on the pop charts and #3 on the R&B charts. Written by Burt Bacharach, Mack David and Luther Dixon (under the pseudonym Barney Williams), the song has become an enduring classic, covered by The Beatles, Smith and many other artists. It also served as the title track for The Shirelles’ first album of 1962. Baby Its You features 12 outstanding songs, including their single “Soldier Boy” which topped the Billboard Hot 100. Sourced from the original analog session tapes, this Sundazed reissue faithfully reproduces one of the most influential albums of the early ‘60s (certainly, Barry Gordy would agree). After one listen, you won’t want nobody, nobody but The Shirelles.
Sundazed Music 2013 LP 23.00 €
Shocking Blue - Love Buzz 2x10"
Shocking Blue from the Beat-scene of the Hague of the 1960s was the first Dutch band to have a #1 hit in the US, 'Venus'.
After a number of other hits and international tours, the band sadly split in 1975.

Their influence on music passed on to new generations; both Nirvana and The Prodigy covered the song 'Love Buzz' at some time in their careers. 'Love Buzz', the new vinyl-only compilation released specially by Music On Vinyl, is a collection of their best hits.
It's ssued in a gatefold sleeve on two 10" with a swelteringly sexy poster of singer Mariska Veres.

A special treat awaits the early birds: the first batch of 500 copies will be pressed on shockingly blue vinyl!

• 120 grams audiophile 10" vinyl
• Gatefold sleeve
• Music On Vinyl exclusive compilation
• Includes Poster
• First 500 limited on Blue vinyl
Music On Vinyl 2012 10" LP 25.00 €
Small Faces - Greatest Hits
Charly Records 2014 CD 20.00 €
Solomon Burke - Soul Arrives! 1955-1961
Sonics - The Witch EP
As the revitalized Sonics traverse the globe thrilling audiences with their visceral brand of rock'n'roll, Big Beat presets a very special vinyl-only release from this the legendary Northwest garage band.

The Witch EP collects four gems from the group’s quintessential Etiquette catalogue, and features for the first time on wax, the rare “switchblade” version of ‘The Witch’, with Larry Parypa scraping metal across his guitar strings to menacing effect. Also making its vinyl debut is the full-length recording of the band’s bloodcurdling ‘Psycho’ direct from the studio master tape.

In recent years the Sonics’ pounding take on Richard Berry’s ‘Have Love Will Travel’ has become their biggest box-office item, having appeared upon countless TV commercials and soundtracks around the world. Rounding out this very special Witch EP is the original, classic take of the title cut.

Housed in a handsome sleeve featuring a rare colour picture from an unused session intended to promote the original Witch single, shot by famed Northwest photographer Jini Dellaccio, The Sonics’ Witch EP is an essential item for any fan of this unsurpassed rock’n’roll combo.

By Alec Palao (Ace Records)
Ace Records 2013 CD 15.00 €
Sonny Til And The Orioles - Still Crying In The Chapel 1948-1962 2CD
Sonny Til & The Orioles were a pioneering doo wop group who along with The Ravens opened the doors for all the other groups that followed.

Across the generous 57 tracks are all their charted records, including: 'It's Too Soon To Know'; 'Forgive and Forget'; 'Tell Me So' and one of Elvis' favourite records 'Crying in the Chapel'.

The final twelve tracks of disc 2 is the group's rare 1962 comeback album in true stereo.

This is the first ever compilation to feature the recordings from all the labels they recorded for in one package!
Speedy West & Jimmy Bryant - Bustin' Thru - Flippin' The Lid
1-CD DigiPac (4-plated) with 40-page booklet, 34 tracks. Total playing time approx. 81 mns.
Hillbilly boogie, fantastic guitar and steel guitar duets featuring two of the finest players to ever touch a musical instrument!
Instrumentals and session work for well-known country singers!
Contains Jimmy Bryant's impossibly rare 1949 recording for Modern Records!
Bear Family sound mastering!
Fans of hillbilly boogie and hot guitar are not complete without this collection of fantastic guitar and steel guitar duets from Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant, two of the finest players to ever touch a musical instrument. In addition to fantastic instrumental treats like Stratosphere Boogie and Speedin' West, you'll hear some of the recordings that Speedy and Jimmy did as session men for other singers such as 'Tennessee' Ernie Ford, Jean Shepard, and Spike Jones. As a bonus, you'll also hear both sides of Jimmy Bryant's first recording, the impossibly rare Jelly Beans Daddy/Boogie Barn Dance originally cut for Modern Records in 1949. If you don't already own the 'Flamin' Guitars' box set Bear Family put out on Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant, this single-CD compilation is an absolute must! The usual Bear Family superb packaging, liner notes and sound mastering apply here - this is the finest these recordings have ever sounded.
Bear Family 2013 CD 17.00 €
Spencer Davis Group - Keep On Running - The Collection
PressPlay is a brand new Cherry Red label which offers the perfect introduction to the music of its most popular artists at a competitive price.
From 70s prog to punk, vintage ska to rock’n’roll, 60s beat to 80s indie, PressPlay’s "The Collection” range will complement the existing Cherry Red labels by combining great value-for-money with the best music from a wide range of iconic cult bands /artists.
Each compilation offers the ideal starting place for the general music fan who might not want to own every album by an artist…
Cherry Red Records 2013 CD 13.00 €
Supremes - I Hear A Symphony
Music On Vinyl 2013 LP 22.00 €
Supremes - Meet The Supremes
recorded in Detroit 1960-1962

180 gram vinyl

free mp3 album download
WaxTime Records 2013 LP 18.00 €
Supremes - Meet The Supremes
Hallmark Music 2013 CD 6.00 €
T-Bone Walker - Every Day I Have The Blues
When producer Bob Thiele launched Flying Dutchman Records in 1969, he also introduced two other imprints to give his new company depth and breadth: Amsterdam for pop material and Bluestime to concentrate on the developing blues boom. Thiele had been in charge of ABC’s Bluesway label, where he had made records with many vintage blues artists. He opened Bluestime with albums by three of those performers: “The Real Boss Of The Blues” by Joe Turner, “Sweet Giant Of The Blues” by Otis Spann and “Every Day I Have The Blues” by T-Bone Walker.

T-Bone Walker was a pioneer of the electric guitar. Born in 1910, his earliest musical experiences were in Dallas, which led to him making a record as Oak Cliff T-Bone in 1929. Moving to Los Angeles in the mid-30s, he became one of the earliest champions of the electric guitar. His records for Capitol, Rhumboogie and Black & White in the 1940s provided the template for players such as B.B. King and his ‘Stormy Monday Blues’ became a much-covered standard.

His hits dried up in the mid-50s when the blues began to be considered old-fashioned, but Walker became one of the first players to be regarded as a serious musician. “T-Bone Blues”, his 1959 LP for Atlantic, was one of the first to be aimed at an intellectual white audience. In the 1960s he became a fixture on the concert circuit and continued to make LPs. “Everyday I Have The Blues”, reissued here with two live bonus live recordings, is one of his best but at the same time one of the least-known. The backing musicians provided by Thiele allowed Walker plenty of space to solo and to sing. The title track is a sharp version of the blues standard and ‘For B.B. King’, a tribute to his disciple, shows off some amazing guitar skills.

By Dean Rudland (Ace Records)
Ace Records 2014 CD 14.00 €
Timi Yuro - I'm So Hurt - Her First Four Albums and More
An intense, emotive singer, the diminutive Timi Yuro possessed one of the most powerful white voices of her era.

This compilation anthologises the first eighteen months of her recording career, during which she released a remarkable seven singles and four LPs.

Includes several hit singles such as: 'Hurt' (which became Timi's calling-card); 'I Apologise'; 'Smile'; 'She Really Loves You'; 'Let Me Call You Sweetheart'; 'What's A Matter Baby'; and 'The Love of a Boy'. Plus her incredibly rare duet with '50s hit maker, Johnnie Ray on 'I Believe'/'A Mother's Love'.

Almost a third of this material is unavailable elsewhere on CD, including the two LPs, 'Soul' and 'Let Me Call You Sweetheart' which are included within this set.
Tubby Hayes - Little Giant Steps 4CD
Proper 2013 CD-Box 20.00 €
Ty Karim - Wear Your Natural, Baby
With the resurgence of vinyl, Kent has returned to its extensive back catalogue and conjured up a sultry soul stomper of an LP from Ty Karim. It features all her famed dancefloor favourites from the exciting and super-rare 60s single ‘You Just Don’t Know’ and smooth 70s soul floater ‘Lightin’ Up’ to the hipper-than-hip call to ‘Wear Your Natural, Baby’, which from the fabulous cover photo we can see Ty did with style.

There are a couple of slower, soulful moments in the shape of the haunting big beat ballad ‘All At Once’ and the unlikely, yet successful, cover of James Taylor’s ‘Don’t Let Me Be Lonely Tonight’. It’s the first time on vinyl for the bluesy ‘Don’t Make Me Do Wrong’ and Ty’s solo version of ‘If I Can’t Stop You (I Can Slow You Down)’, which is going to please DJs. Those guys will already have the universally acclaimed ‘Wear Your Natural, Baby’ on Romark or Kent but will they be able to resist this perfect package?

By Ady Croasdell (Ace Records)
Ace Records 2013 LP 25.00 €
VA: - A Deep Dip Into Carolina Soul Vol. 1
Soul From The Vaults 2013 CD 15.00 €
VA: - American Heartbeat 1960 2CD
One Day Music 2013 CD 7.00 €
VA: - Bad Bad Woman - Gems From Philips Records USA 2CD
Gems from Philips Records USA 1962. 50 original recordings on 2CDs
One Day Music 2013 CD 10.00 €
VA: - Bluesin' By The Bayou
Hardly have we savoured the full taste of “Rhythm ’n’ Bluesin’ By The Bayou” than here comes another bucketful of steaming South Louisiana gumbo and this time it’s “Bluesin’ By The Bayou” – a spicy mix of guitars, harmonicas, and even the occasional accordion, accompanying those tales of despair or machismo that are the recipe for the blues.

All the tracks stem from the studios of J.D. Miller in Crowley and Eddie Shuler in Lake Charles. These two men were wonders at spotting talent and getting the best out of the performers, as illustrated on the 28 tracks on this CD.

Half of the songs are heard here for the first time, while the other half have appeared before on obscure 45s or long-deleted reissue LPs. Of the previously unissued numbers, some are alternate takes; they are not included just because they are alternates, but because they have something to offer and deserve to be heard.

The three earlier CDs in the “…By the Bayou” series made you feel like dancing. This collection makes for more reflective listening; maybe you’ll pick a little air guitar along with Lightnin’ Slim et al as you drink in the atmosphere of a juke joint on a steamy Louisiana night.

With blues giants Lightnin’ Slim, Lazy Lester, Slim Harpo and Lonesome Sundown augmented by lesser-known talents such as Silas Hogan, Jimmy Dotson, Joe Rich, Jimmy Anderson and Tal Miller, plus a touch of Zydeco from Clifton Chenier, Boozoo Chavis and Thaddeus Declouet, this is the first CD of its kind to be issued for many a moon.

Europeans took real notice of the blues some 60 years ago when Big Bill Broonzy and Muddy Waters first crossed the Atlantic, but it wasn’t until a band of enthusiasts founded the groundbreaking Blues Unlimited magazine at the start of the 60s that we began to discover just how much of this music was out there and how many obscure records there were to collect. And here we are, 50 years down the line, and still learning. So, whether you are an old-school blueser or new to the genre, there is something here for you

The ongoing joy of sifting through the tapes in the Miller vaults, which provide the backbone of this series, plus the hundreds of tracks already transferred, means that there will be more to come in the “…By The Bayou” series. Who knows what previously undiscovered gems may lie in the next unlabelled box to be opened.

In the meantime, let’s get groovin’ to some downhome blues – pass the jug!

By Ian Saddler (Ace Records)
Ace Records 2013 CD 18.00 €
VA: - Bluesology 3CD
If you think these three discs will reduce you to a blabbering basket case, or cause your family to remove sharp implements from your reach, then think again. The blues has a reputation for misery that’s scarcely recognised by the people who play it. Take Buddy Guy: ‘Once I was checking to hotel and a couple saw my ring with “Blues” on it. They said, “You play blues. That music is so sad.” I gave them tickets to the show, and they came up afterwards and said, “You didn’t play one sad song.”’ 

Singer/guitarist Guy contributes ‘First Time I Met The Blues’ to our collection – and he is typical of a generation of bluesmen who left home in the postwar years in search of stardom. When he hit Chicago in 1957, fresh from his native Louisiana, he admits he was ‘as square as a billiard table and just as green’. He was still touring the word over 50 years later, playing his music and declaring, ‘A lot of people have told me the blues is like whiskey – the longer you leave it in the barrel the better it gets!’

BB King acquired his ‘Blues Boy’ name in Beale Street in downtown Memphis, Tennessee – but, like Guy, was an incomer from the country. Mississippi-born King’s seventh RPM release, ‘Three O’Clock Blues’, was the first of many to hit the Billboard R&B listings in 1952, the Lowell Fulson-inspired number staying at Number 1 for over three months. Like Buddy Guy, King found a ready audience in the black workforce that had come to urban centres during wartime and stayed to fuel the growing US economy.

When it comes to legendary figures, the blues has a surfeit. But they don’t come any more legendary – or mysterious – than Robert Johnson. The tale that he had ‘sold his soul’ to the devil at an unidentified crossroads in exchange for exceptional musical gifts came about after a spell away from his plantation home. Johnson allegedly returned with an impressive technique, much to the astonishment of his fellow musicians. The legend would be rubber-stamped when he was poisoned in Greenwood, Mississippi in 1938 while playing a dance. The devil’s due? It certainly seemed so to his contemporaries.

Elmore James was a disciple of Robert Johnson In both his guitar-playing and his repertoire. Both were born in Mississippi a handful of years apart – but while Johnson cut his historic sessions in 1936-37, Elmore didn’t record until 1951, when he laid down the first of many versions of ‘Dust My Broom’. His distinctive slide-guitar style, heard here on that very number, would be influential on the likes of Fleetwood Mac.

The blues can often be one man and a guitar – but whether it’s electric or acoustic may tell you a lot about the person playing it. The country blues that had proliferated in the immediate postwar years had to plug in when its performers hit the bustling bars and clubs of the city. They simply had to amplify themselves to be heard.

Not that you have to own a guitar to play the blues. Little Walter Jacobs, Sonny Boy Williamson and Junior Wells are harmonica-players who kept their backing band in their pocket and could blow up a storm by means of that uniquely emotional instrument.

Blues artists were often ripped off and went unrewarded for their recorded effort, by accident or design. As guitarist Otis Rush, who came to fame in the late Fifties on Chicago’s short-lived Cobra label, said, ‘A guy will promise you the world and give you nothin’ – and that’s the blues.’ He wasn’t the only one to suffer at the hands and ethics of the music business.

Paradoxically, if and when blues stars finally ‘made it’, it often became more difficult for them to play with passion. ‘There’s no way in the world I can feel the same blues the way I used to,’ bemoaned the late, great 
Muddy Waters. ‘When I play in Chicago, I’m playing up-to-date, not the blues I was born with. People should hear the pure blues – the blues we used to have when we had no money.’
John Lee Hooker had to wait until he was in his seventies before he enjoyed real rewards for his labours. His 1989 album ‘The Healer’, featuring guests such as Bonnie Raitt, Carlos Santana, Los Lobos and Canned Heat, went on to top 1.5 million sales worldwide. Accolades came thick and fast. In 1991 he won a coveted WC Handy award and was inducted into the newly established Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, while in 1992 a remake of ‘Boom Boom’ (a vintage version of which is included here) made him the oldest person ever to reach the UK Top 5. A Grammy Lifetime Achivement Award and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame also followed.

Let’s leave the last word to Hooker, who died in 2001 at the age of 83. ‘The blues tells a story,’ he said. ‘Every line of the blues has a meaning.’ The 75 stories these songs tell make fascinating listening: enjoy three hours plus of Bluesology…
Not Now Music 2013 2-CD 9.00 €
VA: - Boppin' By The Bayou Again
A SECOND DIP into the gumbo that was South Louisiana’s take on rock’n’roll in the 50s and early 60s, the spicy mix of rockabilly and Southern rockers, heavily influenced by the sounds of R&B wafting from New Orleans and a lifetime of Cajun music.

Following the success of the first CD we are pleased to bring you another compilation full of the obscure and previously unissued. Most of our artists are Cajun born and bred. They grew up in the world where live music was a release from a tough existence: fishing, farming or toiling in the oil fields – but also reflected it. Hence Cajun music was split almost entirely into two genres: raucous good-time dance music or the sentimental, almost wrist-slitting ballads of broken hearts.

The advent of rock’n’roll put a modern twist to these themes; the uptempo rockers had the teenagers a-hoppin’ and a-boppin’ and the songs of shattered love were often the basis of swamp pop. In this series we are concentrating on the former, but it is highly likely that swamp pop collections could follow.

This disc brings you more goodies from Al Ferrier, Johnny Jano, Pee Wee Trahan (aka Tommy Todd), Jay Chevalier, Rod Bernard, Warren Storm, Rocket Morgan and Vince Anthony, all of whom appeared on the first Boppin’ By The Bayou (Ace CDCHD1345), plus treats from Mickey Gilley, Gene Terry, Jim Oertling, Perry LaPointe, Milton Allen, Rusty Kershaw, Cajun Joe, Tony Perreau, J. C. Politz, Bert Bradley, Glenn Owens, Robert Owens, Wiley Jeffers and a previously unheard group (I believe) called The Teen Hearts.

We have been able to present 28 tracks, 12 of which are previously unissued, through our special access to the tapes of the late J. D. Miller, the late Eddie Shuler and our good friend Floyd Soileau. I have been fortunate enough to travel the highways of South Louisiana and that Cajun corner of South East Texas, meeting many of the artists and forging deals with label owners such as Luke Thompson (Hammond) Carl Graffagnino (Carl) and Sarah Rentz (Pel). Oh yes, there are others in the pipeline so we plan further issues with absolutely no drop of standard.

Following in the footsteps and, thanks to improved digital transfer techniques, building on the pioneering work of John Broven, and of Bruce Bastin of Flyright Records, we are capturing the raw energy of a music form peculiar to a relatively small but hugely influential area of the United States of America.

For those who are also who are also bitten by the bug of rockin’ blues and R&B from South Louisiana, keep a watch for the sister series featuring those genres, the first of which Rhythm’n’Bluesin’ By The Bayou is slated for imminent release.

By Ian Saddler (Ace Records)
VA: - Boy Meets Girl TV Shows Vol. 1
This historic release of original live TV recordings by British /American Rock and Roll legends is a fine complement to anyone's collection of the classic Dreamboats and Petticoats series.

For the first time ever two complete Boy Meets Girls TV Shows from the 16th and 23rd February 1960 which have been digitally remastered from the original soundtrack recordings, featuring many previously unreleased songs by the compare Marty Wilde and guests including Billy Fury, Michael Cox, Johnny Gentle and the Vernon Girls. Also, taking time out from his UK tour, special guest rockstar Eddie Cochran who is accompanied by Joe Brown and the Firing Squad, the same musicians who backed Billy Fury on his famous 1960 10" rockabilly LP ? 'The Sound of Fury'.

The show also includes introductions and some very interesting interviews with some of the artists. There are also four bonus tracks from various shows between late 1959 and early 1960 by Johnny Cash, Gene Vincent, Ronnie Hawkins and the show's cast which feature Billy Fury, Marty Wilde, Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, Joe Brown, Adam Faith and Jess Conrad. The CD contains a twelve page booklet which includes many original photos from the shows some not seen before and liner notes by Derek Genister.
Rockstar Records 2013 CD 19.00 €
VA: - Cliff Heard Them Here First
Although the majority of Cliff Richard’s hits have come with songs written expressly for him, or that he was the first to cut, the outside repertoire that he has recorded throughout his career has been more interesting than the choices of many of his contemporaries. Sir Cliff was not the only home-grown rocker to cover US material but, unlike his peers, he seldom went into a studio and simply made over the latest fast-rising American hit. With the help of his long time A&R man and producer Norrie Paramor, Cliff found a formidable number of fantastic songs hidden away on obscure US 45s and albums unavailable here.

Having previously celebrated the good taste in covers of his early hero in “Elvis Heard It Here First”, Ace felt it only fair to follow up with a companion volume that does likewise for the Peter Pan of pop. The tracks selected for “Cliff Heard Them Here First” show just how broad Cliff’s tastes were.

Most of his early singles featured original songs, but the material on to his many albums was something else again. “Cliff Heard Them Here First” brings you the original versions of two dozen songs which found their way into Cliff’s discography, ranging from gospel-influenced R&B (Ruth Brown’s ‘Somebody Touched Me’) to rockin’ doo wop (the Jayos’ ‘Tough Enough’), and from ultra-obscure west coast teen pop (Pete Votrian’s ‘We Have It Made’) to a little known Elvis Presley track (‘Angel’).

The booklet reflects the importance of the music that’s preserved here, with copious notes, label shots and ephemera for each track. All but one is new to Ace CD and several of them have never been reissued before in any format. Although the majority of our tracks stem from the first ten years of Cliff’s recording career, there are also examples of songs that Cliff came across and recorded in the early 70s, which show that his ear for a good song and a great record have never deserted him.

These tracks have stood the test of time as well as Cliff’s own career. “Cliff Heard Them Here First” is our salute to the man and the great taste he showed in embracing these songs.

By Tony Rounce (Ace Records)
VA: - Come Spy With Us
These days the cinema is full of rubbish action movies where things blow up improbably and frequently and unfunny romantic comedies that are forgotten as soon as the credits roll. The telly’s not much better, full of “celebrities” whose only real celebrity is that they are famous for … well, you tell us. But it wasn’t always like that.

Once you could take your seat in the one-and-nines and see intelligently plotted thrillers in which a suave hero strove to keep the world safe without blowing half of it up. Or you could switch on the box and watch the exploits of an equally worthy hero for 60 gripping minutes in a series that established many fictitious espionage experts as true celebrities.

“Come Spy With Us” salutes the period in question by bringing together songs and themes from the televisual and cinematic worlds of espionage, paying homage to some of the best – and, we admit, one or two of the worst – TV shows and films of the genre’s golden era. Bulldog Drummond, Boysie Oakes, Harry Palmer, Napoleon Solo, Illya Kuryakin, Matt Helm, Modesty Blaise, John Drake, Maxwell Smart, Amos Burke, Derek Flint and, of course, James Bond are among those whose adventures lit up our lives during the 60s and beyond, usually to a soundtrack that remains as memorable as those adventures. Purchase of this compact disc will allow you to relive, if not their adventures, then certainly their theme tunes – many of which have taken on lives of their own outside of the films and TV shows for which they were commissioned.

The 25 individual episodes in our musical mission run the gamut of popular music, from Motown icons (Miracles, Supremes), jazz instrumental maestros (Wynton Kelly, Jimmy Smith), vocal stylists (Cleo Laine, Sarah Vaughan) and twangy guitar kings (Challengers, Al Caiola, Billy Strange) to emperors of honk (Red Price, Johnny Paris and the Hurricanes), 60s pop goddesses (Nancy, Dusty, Maughan and Bassey) and ace orchestrators (John Barry, Roland Shaw, Brian Fahey).

You don’t have to be a member of any secret organisation in order to “Come Spy With Us”. Your license to thrill to the 25 selections you will encounter on this mission – should you choose to accept it – will never be revoked. And we absolutely guarantee this CD will NOT self-destruct within 10 seconds of your playing it.

By Tony Rounce (Ace Records)
Ace Records 2014 CD 18.00 €
VA: - Cosimo Matassa Story 2LP
Vintage Vinyl 2013 LP 25.00 €
VA: - Country & Western Hit Parade 1968
1-CD Deluxe album with 72-page booklet, 31 tracks. Total playing time approx. 86 mns.
After the volumes covering 1945-1965 were released, the word was out. This series is definitive, fabulously packaged, and faultlessly re-mastered! In short, everything you'd expect from Bear Family! Including these five new additions, it’s now a quarter-century of the very best of country music.
Jack Clement, who produced Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Waylon Jennings, Don Williams, Charley Pride, and many others, said, "This is the best country series of all time. No doubt. No question." Robert Hilburn in the 'Los Angeles Times' said, "An invaluable album project…enables fans to step back in time and listen to the radio just like Elvis Presley, Ray Charles, and Bob Dylan did." Producer Allen Reynolds (Garth Brooks, Emmylou Harris, and many others) stopped Bear Family’s Richard Weize at the Country Music Hall of Fame to congratulate him on the series.
Now the story ends with 1966-1970. Every CD is generously full. Every booklet is extensive and chocked full of rare photos and illustrations, as well as complete stories behind the songs!
In addition to the hits, the series contains rarities that went on to influence country music - in fact, all music - in the years ahead.
This series is designed to introduce new listeners to the very best that country music has to offer… while keeping longtime fans entertained. Every volume is a fabulous time capsule.
"Collecting an anarchic mix of sex and sentimentality, earnest paeans to family and fanciful tales of drinking and cheating, Dim Lights… affords a fascinating glimpse into black-and-white polemics… Established stars, inspired wannabes proffer an intoxicating brew of dancefloor honky tonk, hillbilly boogie, bluegrass, western swing, incipient rockabilly, goofball novelty, and sentimental country-pop." ('Uncut' magazine)

The reviews are in and everyone from Australia to Los Angeles to London is raving about Bear Family's definitive year-by-year country series. Starting in 1945, Dim Lights, Thick Smoke, and Hillbilly Music (Country & Western Hitparade) tells the real story of country music record-by-record, year-by-year. The hits are here, but they're only half the story. The set goes beyond chart books to include groundbreaking records that went nowhere at the time, but influenced generations yet to come. This is the music that influenced the White Stripes, Gillian Welch, Gram Parsons, Nick Cave, the Beatles and many others. In other words, this is the true and uncensored history of country music. Everything you need to hear, year-by-year, as it happened!

Picking up the story in 1966 and continuing until 1970, the new batch includes original versions of too many classic hits to list – just look at the track listing. But the series also includes neglected classics and shoulda-been hits like Gram Parsons' recordings with the International Submarine Band and the Byrds, George Jones' neglected album track Beneath Still Waters (later a #1 hit for Emmylou Harris), Charlie Louvin's gothic classic Will You Visit Me On Sundays, Roger Miller's original versions of Me And Bobby McGee and Little Green Apples, Jim Alley's ultra-rare original version of Only Daddy That'll Walk The Line, and so many more!

There’s even more! Incredibly detailed 72-page booklets go with every CD, featuring exclusive behind-the-scenes stories, rare photos, record label shots, and complete discographical information.

During the years covered by these volumes, the United States was even more bitterly polarized than today. Vietnam, Civil Rights, and the '60s revolution in culture and style created a volatile political and cultural atmosphere. Some took country music back to its hillbilly roots, some tried to embrace the change with newer country songs like Gentle On My Mind, By The Time I Get To Phoenix, Ode To Billie Joe, etc., and some tried to blend then-current rock and traditional country music. It was an explosive time and the music reflected much of that. Dim Lights, Thick Smoke, And Hillbilly Music goes out on a very high note.

Bear Family began its journey into year-by-year anthologies with the groundbreaking and award-winning Blowin' The Fuse and Sweet Soul Music series that tell the story of R&B from 1945-1970. Look for the series to continue into the Funk era.
Bear Family 2013 CD 19.00 €
VA: - Country Hicks Vol. 7
After Over 10 years absence Country Hicks Returns to vinyl with a new stunning volume. 16 Killer Primitive Hick Rockabilly & Country Rockers. This is one of the best volumes in the series. Check out Glenn & Vivian Watson's fantastic Country Bopper or Tommy Castle's Hick Stomper (maybe the rarest Starday Custom pressing), Bill Chambers Slappin' Bass Hick Bop Masterpiece,The Lonesome Western Beauty of Whitey Gallagher's "Searchin" or the amazing Rockin'version of Hank's "Honky Tonk Blues". Every track is a winner

Full Colour cover with label shots for every disc plus detailed sleeve notes
Bark Log Records 2010 LP 15.00 €
VA: - Cruisin' Country Vol. 5
Classics records 2013 CD 17.00 €
VA: - Cruisin' Country Vol. 6
30 top rockin' country cruisers by original artists
Classics Records 2013 CD 17.00 €
VA: - Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures Taken From The Vaults
Ace Records 2013 LP 25.00 €
VA: - Detroit Special - Motor City Roots 2CD
Following on from the success of our first two volumes in the Motor city Roots series comes, 'Detroit Special'.

Features the first two compilation albums ever released by the legendary Motown label plus 36 bonus tracks featuring the superb Motown artists: Barrett Strong; The Miracles; Mary Wells and more.

Also on offer here are many US chart hits from the likes of: Marvin Gaye and The Supremes plus some of the earliest recordings from such artists as: Martha Reeves; Stevie Wonder and once again The Miracles.

Fully detailed liner notes make this another great collector's item.
Jasmine Records 2014 CD 15.00 €
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6

Rock and roll news

2013-11-07
GOOFIN' RECORDS 30th Anniversary Party

2013-08-18
LEVYMESSUT / TAPAHTUMAT

2013-08-15
GOOFIN' RECORDS TULEVIA JULKAISUJA

2013-04-17
THE QUIETS The Many Faces Of The Quiets UUSI CD SAATAVANA !

2013-04-13
GOOFIN' RECORDS VESIVAHINKO / WATER DAMAGE

goofinrecords